Matt Wiese is the Chair of the firm’s Estate Planning Practice Group. He focuses primarily in the areas of trusts and estates, closely held family business structures, and international and domestic taxation for high-net-worth individuals. He helps clients through all stages of estate planning, including probate and trust administration. He advises foreign and domestic clients on U.S. federal income, gift, and estate tax matters.
In addition, Matt has worked on significant sales of privately held companies and helps business owners with succession planning and general business law.
Before joining the firm, Matt was the founder and sole shareholder of Wiese Law Corporation based in Bellevue, WA. And before that, he worked at prominent law firms in Salt Lake City, Boise, and Las Vegas.
- Helps high-net worth individuals and families design sophisticated lifetime giving plans to transfer assets to future generations while protecting assets and minimizing income, estate, and gift taxes, including family limited partnerships or LLCs, spousal lifetime access trusts (SLATs), domestic asset protection trusts (DAPTs), grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), installment sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts (IDGTs), and qualified personal residence trusts (QPRTs).
- Assists individuals and families based outside the United States with proper structuring of assets to minimize U.S. income, gift, and estate tax.
- Works with business owners to plan for the transition of private companies to the next generation or to outside parties.
- Designs charitable giving strategies, including charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, private foundations, and donor advised funds.
- LL.M. in Tax, University of Washington, 2000
- J.D., University of Utah 1996
- B.A., English and Spanish, University of Utah, 1992
- Washington State Bar Association (Business Law, Taxation, and Real Property, Probate and Trust Sections)
- King County Bar Association
- Utah State Bar Association
- Nevada State Bar Association
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- State of Nevada
- State of Utah
- U.S. Tax Court
- Bellevue Fire Foundation, 2021 – present