Joe focuses his practice on early stage and growth companies. He represents companies from inception to exit, and assists companies with among other things, formation, equity compensation, angel and venture financings, mergers and acquisitions, and other significant business transactions. He also represents investors in and acquirers of businesses and founders and executives.
Joe is a member of the Angel Capital Association’s Public Policy Advisory Council. He has been active in advocating for laws to make it less difficult for companies to raise capital. Joe wrote the first draft of Washington’s equity crowdfunding law and was an early advocate for state crowdfunding laws, and later testified in favor of the bill that ultimately became law in Washington state. He also assisted in amendments to the bill that ultimately became law.
Joe recently co-authored a new book “Angel Investing, Start to Finish.” Joe says “Angel investing can be fun, financially rewarding, and socially impactful. But it can also be a costly endeavor in terms of money, time, and missed opportunities.” And, “no matter where you’re starting from, this book will give you the context to become a savvier thinker, a better negotiator, and a positive member of the angel investing and startup communities.” One of the chapters, Legal Due Diligence, is an excerpt from the book, a comprehensive guide for new and experienced angel investors, as well as founders raising an angel round, You can also view the Table of Contents.
- Startup Company Formations
- Angel and Venture Financings
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Equity Compensation
- Stock Option/Equity Plan Administration
- Revenue Loans
- Alternative Financing Structures
- Cannabis and CBD Law
Honors and Recognitions
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2018 – 2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Corporate Law, Business Organizations and Clean Tech Law 2016-2023
- Listed as one of Washington’s Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine since 2009
- LL.M, New York University, 1996
- JD, Seattle University School of Law, 1994
- BA, University of Washington, 1990
Bar and Court Admissions
- Washington, 1994
- “Angel Investing, Start to Finish,” Co-Author, 2020
- “New Law Changes the Liquidity Game for Tech Company Founders, Workers and Investors,”Co-Author, Crunch Network, March 10, 2016
- “The Holloway Guide To Equity Compensation,” Co-Author, 2018
- Angel Capital Association urges nomination of Joe Wallin for one of two new Securities and Exchange Commission members, Washington Post, December 8, 2016.
- Washington State Bar Association
- Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Partner, DLA Piper US LLP (formerly DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary LLP and Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP), Seattle