John C. Dippold is President and Managing Partner of Carney Badley Spellman, P.S. Mr. Dippold is also Chairman of Carney Badley Spellman’s Board of Directors. His practice principally involves construction litigation, commercial litigation, construction law, development, commercial and residential real estate, and federal/state government contracts in Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii. He served as a commissioner for the Issaquah Highlands Development Commission from 1999 through 2003 and as Vice-chairman of the Commission in 2004.
Mr. Dippold’s experience spans a broad range of construction and development issues. His primary clients include owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He has in-depth knowledge of the construction and real estate industries, and this allows him to work closely with his clients in drafting and negotiating construction contracts. He has litigated many complex construction claims arising from delays, design errors and cost overruns. His experience includes drafting and successfully litigating multi-million-dollar federal and state government procurement contracts and bid protests. His practice also includes assisting clients in a broad range of commercial and residential real estate developments. He has worked on hotels, multi-family condominiums, private-public partnerships and apartment projects. The projects have included the development of construction contracts, finance including construction loans, litigation of defect claims and other types of breach of contracts. In addition, he has worked with homeowner associations on governing contracts and bylaws and assisted them in addressing construction defects, property damage claims and other liability claims.
Mr. Dippold is involved in several industry associations, including the Associated General Contractors of America and Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP). He serves on a number of Board of Director positions for large contractors in the Northwest. He regularly gives seminars to the construction and real estate industry groups. Previous seminars have included topics on construction law in the state of Washington, litigating construction claims, leasing, and drafting construction contracts.
Prior to joining Carney, Mr. Dippold worked for the General Services Board of Contract Appeals while obtaining his LLM in Government Procurement at George Washington University. While attending the University of Salzburg School of Law in Salzburg, Austria, he studied under Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy.
Honors and Recognitions
- Mr. Dippold has been named by Washington Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top construction attorneys in Washington state, 2011-2023.
- He has been named in Best Lawyers for Construction Law, Best Lawyers in America, 2024 Edition.
- He has been recognized and included among the best construction lawyers in Washington state.
- Mr. Dippold has been listed in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine and Seattle Business Magazine as one of King County’s “Top Lawyers.”
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Association for Justice
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP)
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Gonzaga Law School Board of Advisors, Member