Amy discovered her legal career path during her first-year law school Contracts course, where she was drawn in by the “meeting of the minds” concept that is the foundation for any legally binding contract. In the years since, Amy has assisted countless startup and emerging enterprises close all sizes of commercial transactions.
Amy advises early stage and emerging technology companies in three main areas: Tech Transactions, Commercial Contracts, Privacy, and General Corporate Counsel.
Tech Transactions and Commercial Contracts
Amy drafts, develops, reviews and negotiates client-favorable terms in complex high volume commercial transactions, including:
- Master Services Agreements
- SaaS and Software Agreements
- IP Licensing and Commercialization Agreements
- OEM and Supplier Agreements
- Reseller Agreements
- Joint Ventures and Development Agreements
- Data Use Agreements, DPAs, Standard Contractual Clauses, HIPAA Business Associate Agreements
Amy recognizes that an effective commercial agreement must be tailored to fit the tone, size and scope of the deal and the client’s industry. She works with clients to structure contracts that will minimize friction and get the deal done while protecting the client’s intellectual property and technology, limiting the client’s liability and meeting all licensing and regulatory compliance standards.
Amy advises clients on privacy and other regulatory compliance and best practices and helps clients safeguard proprietary inventions, systems, and processes. Representative privacy counsel includes:
- Integrating “privacy by design” as part of a successful business model
- Designing, implementing, and overseeing privacy, information security and data protection programs
- Drafting and reviewing privacy policies and online terms of service
- Compliance with GDPR, CCPA and other rapidly developing and changing privacy laws
- Strategizing data breach prevention and response
Amy is a CIPP/US certificated privacy professional and a member of International Association of Privacy Professionals
General Corporate Counsel
Amy supports start-up and emerging companies at all stages of their corporate lifecycle, from entity formation and founder stock issuances to negotiating and closing sell-side and buy-side merger and acquisition transactions. Amy has over ten years of experience helping clients secure capital through angel and venture capital debt and equity financing rounds.
Prior to joining Carney Badley Spellman, Amy was a principal at Company Counsel, LLC, a Boston-based law firm specializing in representing growth and emerging technology companies located throughout the United States. Before that Amy was an attorney with the law firm Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP in Boston, where she focused her practice on corporate and transactional law, as well as general tax law.
- WSBA Business Section’s Privacy and Data Protection Security Law Committee Co-Chair, 2023-2023IAPP Advisory Board Member, 2023-2024
- Moderator, Privacy & AI: Top 5 Legal Concerns for Privacy Attorneys, WSBA, Privacy Committee, May 2023.